endless loop in TrigExpand?
- To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
- Subject: endless loop in TrigExpand?
- From: fischer at slothrop.math.ufl.edu
- Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 11:18:50 -0400
- Reply-to: jde at mathlab.math.ufl.edu
Please reply to jde at mathlab.math.ufl.edu (James D English). Problem: When, using Mathematica, the following command is entered: TrigExpand[ Cos[t1] Sin[t2] + Cos[t2] Sin[t1]] the following, expected result is displayed (almost immediately) : Sin[t1 + t2] However, a problem arises when the following is entered: TrigExpand[Cos[t1] Sin[t2] Sin[t3] + Cos[t2] Sin[t1] Sin[t3]] rather than the expected Sin[t1 +t2] Sin[t3], the program goes into what appears to be an endless loop. Nor does it work when the function is entered in the following form: TrigExpand[(Cos[t1] Sin[t2] + Cos[t2] Sin[t1])Sin[t3]]