Question about Transpose in Mathematica

  • To: Mathematica Mailling list <mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Question about Transpose in Mathematica
  • From: uunet!nucthy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU!ghe (Guangliang He)
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 89 08:58:09 PST

Hello everybody,

I  have some problem with understanding the Transpose function in
Mathetmatica. For example, I have a tensor a as

            a={{{1,2,3},{2,3,4}}}

which has the dimension as

            Dimensions[a]={1,2,3}

I thought that   Transpose[a, {3,1,2}]   should give a  tensor with
dimension {3,1,2}. But instead, Mathematica MacII version 1.1 gives the
resulting tensor as

            {{{1}, {2}, {3}}, {{2}, {3}, {4}}}

which has the dimension

            {2, 3, 1}

As I understand, Transpose[a, {3,1,2}] should put the 3rd level of a to
the first level of the output. So the leading dimension of the output
should be 3, not 2. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Any help will be welcome.

USMAIL:   Guangliang He             |  INTERNET: ghe at PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics     |  BITNET:   hegl at ORSTVM.BITNET
          Weniger Hall 301          |
          Oregon State University   |
          Corvallis, OR 97331-6507  |  PHONE:    (503) 737-4631