Graphics primitives

I'm trying to make Mathematica draw custom error-bars for statistical
data.  The problem is that I can't figure out how to make Mathematica
draw little lines for ticks at the confidence limits, etc.  I want the
*position* to be in application coordinates, but the length of the
ticks to be in terms of the width of the plot.  I figured if I could
track down how Mathematica does axes, I'd be able to figure out what I
want, but the axes code seems to be hidden from users.

  -- David Jacobson