Plotting Experimental Data

  • To: att!mathgroup
  • Subject: Plotting Experimental Data
  • From: Avi Y. Feldblum <uunet!pruxk!ayf>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 11:27:05 EDT

Hello all,

I am a novice Mathematica user, and could use some help from some of you
more experienced users out there. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a file which contains experimental data that I've taken. I have a
mathematical function that I wish to compare and fit the data to. I can
read in the data from the file into a list. I've defined the function,
and can display a graph of the function. My problem (currently) is how
to plot the data. The x-values are N*(step variable), the y-values are
from the data file. I can generate a list of each, but I don't know how
to generate the form {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},..} that I think I need to plot
the data.

I am running on a MacIIcx. If anyone has Mathematica Notebook examples
that do anything like this I would appreciate it. If anyone is willing
to answer simple questions by email or phone, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Avi Feldblum
ayf at   or  avi_feldblum at