Plotting Experimental Data

  • To: att!mathgroup
  • Subject: Plotting Experimental Data
  • From: Avi Y. Feldblum <uunet!pruxk!ayf>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 11:27:05 EDT

Hello all,

I am a novice Mathematica user, and could use some help from some of you
more experienced users out there. Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a file which contains experimental data that I've taken. I have a
mathematical function that I wish to compare and fit the data to. I can
read in the data from the file into a list. I've defined the function,
and can display a graph of the function. My problem (currently) is how
to plot the data. The x-values are N*(step variable), the y-values are
from the data file. I can generate a list of each, but I don't know how
to generate the form {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},..} that I think I need to plot
the data.

I am running on a MacIIcx. If anyone has Mathematica Notebook examples
that do anything like this I would appreciate it. If anyone is willing
to answer simple questions by email or phone, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Avi Feldblum
ayf at pruxk.att.com   or  avi_feldblum at att.com