Speeding up Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup-send at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Speeding up Mathematica
  • From: Katsu Animania Suzuki <uunet!caen.engin.umich.edu!ksuzuki>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 03:26:30 -0500
  • Cc: ksuzuki at caen.engin.umich.edu

I am now playing with Mathematica, adding up several numerical algorithms.
Capability of matrix and vector form and a lot of built-in functions makes
codes so simple, compared to C and FORTRAN, its symbolic manupulating capa-
bility enables what traditional languages could not do. (e.g. analytical
differentiation when doing Newton Rapson algorithm) Also its capability of
graphics makes results so easy to visualize. It is really epoch making
software in the field of numerical analysis, needless to say, in the field
of analytical mathematics.

Its biggest drawback I felt, however, is its speed compared to compilable
language like C or FORTRAN. I wonder if Wolfram Research is going to develop
compiler of Mathematica. With compiler, Mathematica really can replace tradi-
tional computer languages, but not now.

Does anybody has infomation about compiler on Mathematica? Or any way to
speeding up? Any comments?

Katsu Suzuki
  University of Michigan, Ann Arbor