Plots and scientific notation

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Plots and scientific notation
  • From: uunet!idt.unit.no.Tue.May.1.07:04:07.1990!knutj
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 90 16:04:59 -0500

I have a (simple ?) question :

Is it possible to tell Mathematica to _automatically_ format real numbers
using scientific notation ?   Or more specific, to use scientific notation
on all or one of the axes on 2-D and 3-D plots ?

In my case I will be very happy if it is possible to use scientific notation
on the z-axis of 3-D plots.  It looks rather ugly with 0.0000002, 0.0000004,
etc.  And even worse when Mathematica (must) use a variable number of digits,
e.g. 0.000015, 0.00002, 0.000025.

I could use other tools but Mathematica is the only one available that let
me specify a function as a numerical integral.

Any suggestions ?

Knut Johannessen
Dept. Computer Science and Telematics
Norwegian Institute of Technology