RE : Integrate?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: RE : Integrate?
  • From: "Mike Reid, Physics, Hong Kong University" <MFREID at hkucc.bitnet>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 12:26 +0800

Well, if we are going to quote Macsyma, I note that REDUCE
doesn't integrate the expression at all (it's rare that
REDUCE is wrong in my experience, but in many cases like this
not being wrong is not quite helpful enough).

If you do the indefinite integral with  Mathematica you'll find that it is
singular at Pi(!?) but has the value -4 at the end-points, so
is consistent with the definite integral (no surprise there).  Is this a
clue?

Mike Reid.  mfreid at hkucc.bitnet