Logical expressions in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Logical expressions in Mathematica
  • From: Olin Sibert <wos at oxford.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 17:27:22 EDT

I'd like to use Mathematica for simplifying and evaluating large logical
expressions, the same way that arithmetic expressions can be manipulated.
In some casual experimenting and manual reading, I didn't see any
obvious way to do this, but I'm no Mathematica expert.  It seems like
it ought to be possible to use the pattern matching facilities for
simplification, but I thought I'd ask and see whether someone more
knowledgeable than I has already done so.

Is there an existing package that will do this, or do I need to learn
how to write my own?  Is there something other than Mathematica that I
should use instead?  It'd be especially helpful to have something that
could consider operations like XOR as primitive (i.e., worth reducing
to) in addition to AND, OR, and NOT.

Thanks.

Olin Sibert           |Internet: Sibert at Oxford.COM
Oxford Systems, Inc.  |UUCP:     uunet!oxford!sibert