math-mode bug fix

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: math-mode bug fix
  • From: jacobson at cello.hpl.hp.com
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 91 14:07:28 PST

Doug Lind of the University of Washington discovered a bug in my Gnu
Emacs math mode that caused it to fail on a DECstation 5000 under X
windows and the twm window manager.  Maybe this affects other people
as well. (If you are unfamiliar with this package, it allows you to
run Mathematica under Gnu Emacs with features similar to the Macintosh
interface.  It can be aquired by anonymous ftp from
otter.stanford.edu.  See the README file in the top-level directory.)

To exercise the error, submit "Plot[Sin[x),{x,0,1}]".  You get an
extra "In[...]:= " prompt inserted, and consequently, the ^--error
marker points to the wrong place.  When this happens you also get a
message "Syntax error, discarding prompt(?): ".

In[1]:= In[1]:= Plot[ Sin[x), {x,0,1} ]
                   ^--error

If this does not happen to you, ignore this message.  I'm not quite
ready to post an entirly new version, as I am in the midst of adding
some new features.  But if this problem is affecting you, find this
chunk of code near line 322 in math.el

	   ;; snarf up indent strings
	   ((and
	     (eq math-send-state 'non-last-line)     <=== change this line
	     (string-match "\\`[ \t]+\\'" string))
	    (setq math-indent-string string))

and change the third line to read

	     (memq math-send-state '(non-last-line throw-away-prompt))

  -- David Jacobson