Mie sphere scattering soln and Math 2.0

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mie sphere scattering soln and Math 2.0
  • From: Laura "D." Lampshire <laural at vttcf.cc.vt.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 91 9:17:06 EST

Folks,

I am for the most part new to Math 2.0.  Here is what I would
like to do:

I would like to plot the surface current on a sphere using
the Mie series solution.  I can obtain the current as a scalar
function of (r, theta, phi).  I would like to plot this "amplitude"
as a function of (1,theta,phi), ie. I want a 3-D sphere with little
peaks and valleys, sharp points etc. all plotted on a unit sphere.

I hope to be able to animate this sphere so I can show different
viewpoints of the currents.

I have looked at Para..Plot3D[] and SphericalPlot in the Progr..Exam
directory.  While I can plot a sphere quite easily I am confused
about plotting a scalar function over a sphere.  For my function
would I use something like

Param..3D[ { MieAmplitude[t,u], Sin[t] Cos[u], Sin[u]}, {t,0,2Pi},{u,-Pi/2,Pi/2}]

This doesn't seem to work for me, but I expect it is because I am doing it
wrong.

Now for the big quesition: Has somebody already done this and if so, can
you send me the .m file?

Gregory Lampshire
Va Tech NeXT CC
laural at vttcf.cc.vt.edu -- NeXTmail welcome