How does Limit in mma work?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: How does Limit in mma work?
  • From: ken yip <yip-ken at cs.yale.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 91 18:32:00 EDT

I was trying to understand how mma deals with the improper integral

   Integrate[Sqrt[(x + 1)/(1 - x )], {x,-1,1}]

It seems to get stuck while evaluating the limit:

In[22]:= Integrate[Sqrt[(x + 1)/(1 - x )], {x,-1,b}]

                                                       Sqrt[1 - b]
Out[22]= Pi - Sqrt[2 - (1 - b)] Sqrt[1 - b] - 2 ArcSin[-----------]
                                                         Sqrt[2]

In[23]:= Limit[%, b->1]

Can anyone explain to me why it has trouble?

Ken