Re: Mathematica 2.0 & Mac sys7 -> crashes

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mathematica 2.0 & Mac sys7 -> crashes
  • From: gaylord at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1992 03:34:14 -0500

I'm running 2.0.0 on a IIfx under system 7.1.1.1 with 20 Mbytes of RAM  and
a 12 Mbyte partition and  Mathematica crashes quite frequently.

i specifically went out and bought the RAM because i was experiencing alot
of crashes using system 7's virtual memory [which is definitely inferior to
the Connectix's system 6 virtual memory product] but the use of RAM didn't
help the problem (in fact, the problem is much worse under tuneup 7.1.1.1
than it was under 7.0 which makes me think its an Apple problem)

In a recent MacWeek issue there was an announcement that there would be a
forthcoming upgrade in Mathematica with "improved speed and memory
management". This  indicates that WRI is aware that there is a Mac related
problem and is taking steps to correct it. hopefully no one will become so
desperate that they actually go to Maple or another inferior product in the
meantime.