  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Initialization
  • From: gafox at (Gordon A. Fox)
  • Date: 28 Aug 1992 11:05:20 -0700

Thanks to all who gave suggestions as to what my initialization problem is.
All essentially suggested that I was specifying too much in the context of
the file I was trying to read in, and all suggested just saying

That doesn't work either, because at the point the Windows front end is reading
the init.m file, it apparently hasn't assigned Packages to its search path;
I'd already tried this and gotten a "cannot find file" message. It seems that
under the present front end, one can either properly load the entire kernel,
_or_ one can autoload other packages using init.m, but not both.

I've just learned from WRI that they're releasing a new Windows front end.
While they don't say that this problem is specifically fixed, they do note that`there are lots of problems with the current front end, and hope that the new
version will handle them.

Thanks again.

Gordon Fox
University of Arizona