Can't get RecordSeparators t

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Can't get RecordSeparators t
  • From: Simon Chandler <simonc at hpcpbla.bri.hp.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 92 19:57:03 +0100

Dear Mathematica users,

I have a need for mma to read a text file containing some expressions
(not necessarily numbers) separated by commas i.e.,

"1,2,3,4,5"

(Excluding the "")

To do this I tried ReadList[filename,RecordSeparators->{","}]
However, this gave me an error

   Read::readt: syntax error reading 1,2,3,4,5 from filename

In fact I couldn't get RecordSeparator to work with anything other
than a newline character.  To demonstrate this try the following...

In[1]:=
 delimiter="\.2c";
 WriteString["testfile",1,delimiter,2,delimiter,3,delimiter,4,delimiter,5];
 !! testfile

    1,2,3,4,5

In[2]:=
 ReadList["testfile",RecordSeparators->{delimiter}]

    Read::readt: Syntax error reading 1,2,3,4,5 from test11.

Out[2]=
    {$Failed}

Then try using a newline delimiter "\.0d". Also try "\.89" for example.

Where's my silly mistake ??????
Thanks in advance for your help,

Simon Chandler
Hewlett-Packard Ltd (CPB)