Re: D[myFunc[g[x]]] -> myFunc[D[g[x],x]: How to do in ch

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Re: D[myFunc[g[x]]] -> myFunc[D[g[x],x]: How to do in ch
  • From: a_rubin at (arthur rubin)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 07:25:38 PDT

You (simonc at (Simon Chandler)) write:

(* Hi mathgroup,

I hope you can help with this problem.  I want to give the function 'myFunc'
the property of being 'transparent' to differentiation.
i.e., I want to have

  d myFunc[g[x]]                       d g[x]
  --------------    give me    myFunc[ ------ ]                (1)
	dx                               dx

where g is an arbitrary function.  "Easy" I hear you say, just write...

You might try:

myFunc'[g_[x_]] := myFunc[g'[x]]/g'[x]

Alternatively, you could redefine D, but I'm not at all sure that would be
a good idea.

Arthur L. Rubin: a_rubin at (work) Beckman Instruments/Brea
216-5888 at 70707.453 at arthur at (personal)
My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of my employer.