Vector multiplication??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Vector multiplication??
  • From: "Katherine (Williams) Derbyshire" <kewms at>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 22:47:19 EST

  On Wed, 2 Dec 92 14:14:50 -0500, "Paul N. Schatz" <pns at fermi.clas.virginia.EDU  wrote:
    On Nov 29, 15:48, "Katherine (Williams) Derbyshire" wrote:
      I have an arbitrary vector
         A = Array[a,3] = {a[1], a[2], a[3]}
      The dot product of this vector with itself, is evaluated correctly by
         a[1]^2 + a[2]^2 + a[3]^2
      The 'ordinary' product of this vector with itself, A^2, should be
      equivalent to the dot product.  It is, in fact, conventional in
      mechanical engineering to interpret A^2 as the square of the magnitude
      of A, (i. e.  as a dot product).  My linear algebra text doesn't offer
      any definition for this expression at all. Unfortunately, Mathematica
      (2.0 for Windows) interprets A^2 as
         {a[1]^2, a[2]^2, a[3]^2}
      which isn't the same at all.
  I would like to point out that this is NOT a wrong
  answer.  The product in question is called the Hadamard product.
  It in fact is EXCEEDINGLY useful in many Mathematica
My apologies.  I guess this is a case of not enough symbols
available, so they all get overloaded.  Sigh...
Just out of curiousity, what sorts of applications use the Hadamard

Katherine (Williams) Derbyshire
kewms at

 Are we having fun, yet?