Re: What should Mma be, part II

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: What should Mma be, part II
  • From: alex at fff.chem.utah.edu (Alex Dommasch)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 92 15:23:31 MST

wiscombe at climate.gsfc.nasa.gov (Warren Wiscombe) says:

>  The principle of using a collection of sharp tools rather than one blunt
>sledgehammer is a triumph of modern computing philosophy.  To roll back the
>clock, and ask Mma to be the Symphony of the 1990s, is to betray everything
>we have learned about computing.

[+ lots of other good comments]

I would have to agree.  However, for all these tools to work, you need an
infrastructure of some sort, like Unix was (and is).

We are on the verge of a fundamental change in how we deal with information.
Some new object-oriented type of system is going to emerge and become the
infrastructure upon which everything else (well, maybe not everything) is based.

OS's like NeXTStep stand a good chance of doing it, because it now runs on
NeXT's and 486's, and could be ported to other systems quite easily.  I believe
Mathematica could also play a role, because it is a fairly comprehensive package
that handles many types of information in a flexible way, and it also runs on
many platforms.  One could envision future microprocessors being designed to
make Mma run efficiently, just as in the past they have been designed to run
compiled C code efficiently.

Since in Mma, you only load the packages you will use, and the kernels are
separate from the front-ends, you already have the underpinnings of a modular
toolkit (although the parts could be less closely-coupled than they are now).

With furthur work, and better front ends, Mma *could* become the work
environment of the future.

Just my $.02

--
D. A. (Alex) Dommasch, Programmer
Field-Flow Fractionation Research Center