warping of density plots

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: warping of density plots
  • From: Ivan Vesely <vesely at next.heart.rri.uwo.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 15:25:16 EST

I'd like to be able to average images that consist of the density
plots.  Imagine a bunch of density plots (x-ray images for example)
that can be generated by Mathematica by plotting a 2 x 2 array. Those
density plots contain an object (a bone for example) and I want to
average a whole bunch of images to get the spatial density
distribution of the "average bone".

What I really need is some good image warping software that will
allow me to play with the images and get them all to look the same
size and shape.  Then I can cut the area of interest out of all the
images, and simply average the pixels numerically.  I could do all
this fairly easily if I had the image warping software.

I use a NeXT, so  manipulating images is no big deal.  However, the
sofware is expensive and no demo exists for me to try it out.  I am
therefore hesitant in buying it.  However, I did hear that
Mathematica may be able to do something analogous to image warping.
Is this possible? Does some Mathematica package exist that will do
this?

Please respond by e-mail.
---
Ivan Vesely, Electrical Engineering and Medical Biophysics
University of Western Ontario,     vesely at next.heart.rri.uwo.ca