Re: What should Mma be, part II

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: What should Mma be, part II
  • From: "Edward F. Keith" <ed at efkport.kew.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 19:38:13 EST

On Fri, 11 Dec 92 14:42:47 -0800, jacobson at cello.hpl.hp.COM wrote:
> The problem is that life is not so simple with graphics.  I can't just
> "pipe" a graphics object into my favorite graphics tool and get good
> results.  Well, if it is a simple Plot object, with not too much work
> I can extract the underlying list and convert it into a list of
> coordinates and then suck the result into GnuPlot.  But what if its got
> captions?  Or what about 3D plots or density plots, or polygons, or if
> it contains color?

. . .

> So I think that the analogy with Unix breaks down, since there is no
> common language for graphics objects at a level where the object is
> understood.

The obvious solution is a standard language for graphic objects. The
first step toward creating such a standard is to adapt something in
house and publish it as a psudostandard.

	-Ed K.

--
Ed Keith
Telephone: 1(703)370-5217      U.S. Snail: 4535 Taney Ave. #201

I am I, Don Quixote, The Lord of La Mancha . . .