Simplify for minimizing arithmetic operations?
- To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
- Subject: Simplify for minimizing arithmetic operations?
- From: Elaine Kant <kant at SLCS.SLB.COM>
- Date: Wed, 19 Feb 92 11:25:04 CST
- Sender: kant at SLCS.SLB.COM
Does anyone have something like Simplify that minimizes the number of operations in the following sense: I would like to simplify expressions like 3 a + 3 b + 4 c + 4 d (3 additions, 4 multiplications) to 3 (a + b) + 4 (c + d) (3 additions, 2 multiplications) I realize this is not totally well defined, but I'd be interested in corresponding with anyone who has looked into this issue. Elaine Kant Schlumberger Laboratory for Computer Science P.O. Box 200015 Austin, TX 78720-0015 512-331-3737 kant at slcs.slb.com