Simplify for minimizing arithmetic operations?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Simplify for minimizing arithmetic operations?
  • From: Elaine Kant <kant at SLCS.SLB.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 92 11:25:04 CST
  • Sender: kant at SLCS.SLB.COM

Does anyone have something like Simplify that minimizes the number of
operations in the following sense:

  I would like to simplify expressions like

         3 a + 3 b + 4 c + 4 d		(3 additions, 4 multiplications)

	3 (a + b) + 4 (c + d)		(3 additions, 2 multiplications)

I realize this is not totally well defined, but I'd be interested in
corresponding with anyone who has looked into this issue.

Elaine Kant
Schlumberger Laboratory for Computer Science
P.O. Box 200015
Austin, TX 78720-0015
512-331-3737
kant at slcs.slb.com