Electronic Supplement to Ma

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Electronic Supplement to Ma
  • From: John Saylor <John_Saylor at qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu>
  • Date: 17 Jan 92 07:53:09

  Subject:      Electronic Supplement to Mathematica
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions that readers of the
Mathematica discussion group have on the following problem for libraries
related to the Electronic Supplement to the Mathematica Journal.

Has anyone else developed a scheme to deal with this issue? I would be glad to
summarize the responses I get if anyone is interested.

We just received in the Engineering Library our first issues V1, 1991 of THE
MATHEMATICA JOURNAL from Addison-Wesley.  In addition to the paper subscription
we ordered the "Electronic Supplement" which will come with every issue.  (We
ordered the Macintosh version. It also is available in DOS format, with plans
for an E-mail option for UNIX-based systems in the future.)

My dilemma is how to handle the Electronic Supplement to this journal. As I see
it there is a range of options:
1. Subscribe only to the printed version. Thereby eliminating the problem of
dealing with the supplement.
2. Subscribe to the supplement in one format, catalog it separately and let it
circulate for one day as the journal does.  In this case, the disk is very
likely to get damaged or infected after which we have to decide whether to
replace it or not.
3. Same as option 2, but when each new disk comes in duplicate it, save the
master and circulate the copy.
4. Copy each disk as it is received to a local server where it could then be
downloaded or used by individuals.
5. Wish that the files were available for anonymous ftp from a central source
for all platforms.

Each option has many issue associated with it which I sure others would be glad
to elaborate upon (please do)

 John Saylor
 Engineering Librarian
 Carpenter Hall