teaching

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: teaching
  • From: btitus at nemesis.physics.carleton.edu (Bill Titus)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 07:40:30 CDT

Dear MathGroup,

We're looking for suggestions for introducing and teaching
mathematica to students in a first year physics course. The students
would use mathematica as a tool in working homework problems and in
doing some lab work. Our tentative strategy is to have small mma
notebooks that cover limited topics available for the students as
they tackle specific problems.  Has anyone tried this approach or,
for that matter, anything else?  We'd be interested in finding out
what you're done, what works well and what doesn't, and in any
teaching material you'd be willing to share (notebooks, problems
built around mma, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

Bill Titus
Department of Physics and Astronomy