Algebraic Numbers

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Algebraic Numbers
  • From: fqgouvea at colby.edu (Fernando Gouvea)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 92 15:37:43 -0400

I've been trying to find out how to get Mathematica to work with algebraic
numbers. For example, I'd like to declare z to be a primitive m-th root of
unity (where m is usually some small number like 5 or 9), and then have it
correctly reduce polynomials in z. I tried

AlgebraicRules[z^4+z^3+z^2+z+1==0,{z}]

(for m=5, of course), and it didn't seem to be able to recognize z^5 as 1.
This must be doable! Can anyone out there tell me how?

Fernando Q. Gouvea				fqgouvea at colby.edu
Dept. of Math/CS				(207)-872-3278
Colby College					Mudd 407