Re: text in graphics

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: text in graphics
  • From: J.H.E.Cartwright at qmw.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 92 17:04:16 +0100

Gerhold Fasol asked about exponents in Mathematica labels, and Ross Moore
gave some useful help. However, I am still unable to get Mathematica to
produce a piece of text with different fonts and/or fontsizes. I should
like to be able to do this, for example, to make the sub- and superscripts
smaller than the other symbols, and to be able to use characters from both
the Symbol font and the normal text fonts in the same label.

Let me give an example. I can write:

PlotLabel->FontForm[Subscripted[l[1]],{"Symbol",20}]

which will produce a lambda with a subscript 1. However, it would look
better if the `1' were rendered at say 10 points. I have tried:

PlotLabel->FontForm[l,{"Symbol",20}] FontForm[Subscript[1],{"Symbol",10}]

which does not work. Neither does:

PlotLabel->FontForm[l FontForm[Subscript[1],{"Symbol",10}],{"Symbol",20}]

Nor:

PlotLabel->FontForm[Subscripted[l[FontForm[1,{"Symbol",10}]]]]

Does anyone have any ideas?

Julyan Cartwright (julyan at maths.qmw.ac.uk)