FORTRAN

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: FORTRAN
  • From: CHALLACOMBE at baeyer.chem.fsu.edu
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 11:07:13 EDT

	Dear MathGroup,

John Pender writes;
> does anybody know how to get mathematica to write a bunch of numbers to
> a file in fortran-compatible format?  the best option i've found so far
> is to use the ColumnForm command, but as you can see below, the output
> isn't compatible with standard fortran (which uses ** instead of ^).  if
> you use the FortranForm command you get (at least on my machine) a lot of
> excess baggage as well.  i can work around this problem, but it sure seems
> to me that there's got to be a nice way to do such a simple i/o excercise.

Here is an (inelegent) way of generating strings suitable for output in FORTRAN
data statements, etc.;

format[x_]:=ToString[ PaddedForm[x,{14,13},{
                                             NumberFormat->(SequenceForm[#1,"D",#3]&)
                                            ,
                                             ExponentFunction->(If[#==0,0,#]&)
                                            }
                                 ]
                     ];

I use it for writing data statements as follows;

WriteString[FileName,
            StringJoin["     > ",format[b[i,k+0]],", ",format[b[i,k+1]], ",
		                   ",format[b[i,k+2]],",\n"]
            ];

			Hope this helps,

				Matt Challacombe