Re: Can Mathematica invert large complex arrays ( 700x700)?---in a timely way that is

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Can Mathematica invert large complex arrays ( 700x700)?---in a timely way that is
  • From: mek at guinan.psu.edu (Mark E. Kotanchek)
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 92 08:15:27 EDT

   How good is Mme 2.0 on complex arrays that are about 700x700?

   Would I expect to complete in a timely way on a NeXTstation with
   32 Mb of main memory?  By timely I mean within a half an hour?

I can't answer this; however, make SURE you don't have any symbols in
your matrix or mma will attempt to invert the matrix SYMBOLICALLY--in
which case you'll be waiting a lot longer. Since "symbols" include
things like Pi I've found that when using mma for numerical stuff,
its best to check the arrays (lists) and N[variables] before the
critical steps. This results in several orders of maginitude in
performance increase.

Mark.
---
Mark Kotanchek