text in graphics

Mma can produce very nice graphs of results using Plot, ListPlot etc.
I use Frame->True and FrameLabel->{"label1","label2"} for labels.
I frequently need greek letters, exponents and other symbols for
publication ready figures. Does anybody know if some TeX-like method
exists to produce exponents etc in FrameLabels and other text within
graphics? Maybe I have overlooked it in the various books on Mma.

Gerhard Fasol
RCAST, University of Tokyo