Suppressing the use of special functions

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Suppressing the use of special functions
  • From: BEEZER at ups.edu (Rob Beezer)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 16:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to have Mathematica demonstrate the result of integrating
expressions like x^n E^(-x) as part of a calculus lesson on integration
by parts.  Unfortunately, I get

Integrate[x^2 E^(-x), x] = -Gamma[3, x]

when I would prefer to get

Integrate[x^2 E^(-x), x] = (2 + 2x + x^2) E^(-x).

Can anyone tell me how to suppress the use of the gamma function for
problems like this?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Beezer
University of Puget Sound