Mma vectors do not have to be one-dimensional

I posted a question yesterday regarding a problem I had with Mma ignoring
dimension for vectors.  Well, it was me, not Mma, that ignored dimension
when I defined my "vector" as x as {a,b}.

One can have row or column vectors in Mma.  It is simply
a matter of defining a column vector x as {{a},{b}}, or a
row vector y as {{a,b}}.  Then I do not need to worry about Dot
giving me the inner product instead of the intended outer product
for the expression A.x . Transpose[A.x] when x is one-dimensional.

After the rather obvious solution, I am rather embarrassed for needing
to ask the question.  Thanks to Jack Lee and Jerry Keiper for your help.

Phil Miller