RealInterval needing N

There's lots more wrong with RealInterval in Mathematica 2.0 (and I suspect
in later versions).  The concept of interval arithmetic in computational
mathematics requires that the result of an interval operation f
on an interval I includes every value f(a) where a is in I.  Mathematica
does not obey this rule.  I suspect that this really is a consequence
of its notion of precision and accuracy, plus some sloppiness in defining
RealInterval.
RJF