  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: MS Win FE and extern. kernel via ethernet: possible?
  • From: Jeff Stern <jstern at aris.ss.uci.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 07:16:18 -0700

I'd like to know the experiences of anyone who has done this.  I have
heard of Mac front ends and external kernels, but haven't heard of anyone
doing the same thing in the IBM/Windows world.  I would like to do this,
since my pc is hooked up to the Internet, and one of the machines on
campus has the mma kernel.

Would I have to run X-Windows?  Or could I just stay in the MS Windows/DOS
environment?  Is there any extra software needed to set this up?

Alternatively, can mma be run from a Tektronix 4105 terminal?  Thanks.

Jeff Stern
University of California
School of Social Sciences
Irvine, CA 92717