Mma 2.1 and NeXTStep3.0 problems

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mma 2.1 and NeXTStep3.0 problems
  • From: bahder at adelphi-tbb.army.mil (Thomas B. Bahder)
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 92 14:01:33 -0400

I am using two different NeXT machines on which I just installed the
new version of the operating system, NeXTStep 3.0 and Mathematica
2.1.  On both machines, Mma quits unexpectedly when I am editing some
Text cells in a notebook.

The problem is erratic, in the sense that I cannot predict when Mma
will quit.  However, when Mma does quit, it  has always happened when
I have put the insertion pointer in the cell and then hit either the
space bar (to put a blank in text), a backspace, or a comma.   The
problem is sometimes repeatable, in the sense that when I launch Mma
again, and I go to the same Text cell, put my insertion  bar in the
same place, and hit the space bar, Mma sometimes quits again (but
sometimes it does not).  Because the problem is erratic I have not
been able to isolate the problem in a Notebook.

I have found that if I select the text inside the Text cell, by
highlighting it, and put it into a new Text cell, I can edit the new
Text cell in the spot where Mma previously would quit.  This fix is
not as good as it sounds, however, becauses it does not work to
select all the cells in a notebook, copy them to the clipboard, and
put them into a new notebook.  If I do this mass copying, Mma will
still quite when I hit the space bar in some "bad" spot.  I must
select the text in each cell and transfer it to the new cell, one
cell at a time. Even if I do this, when I reopen the Notebook at a
later time, Mma still quits in "bad" spots.

I have tried to delete the .mb file before opening a Notebook and it
does not help.

Does anyone have this problem ?

Tom Bahder

Applied Physics Branch