Can MMa run on a NeXT with 8Mbyte?

Sorry for such a mundane question, but the Wolfram people say to ask the NeXT
people and vice-versa.

Symptoms: After starting up MMA (2.0 on a NeXTstation Turbo), and trying to
evaluate 1 + 1, it more or less hangs. I can edit the expression or add new
ones, but the kernal apparently cannot finish the evaluation. If I fire up a
terminal window and run MMa in line mode, it works fine.

Thanks for any assistance.