Re: Optimization

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Re: Optimization
  • From: H. Scott Roy <hsr at>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 11:11:43 -0700

Thanks Jerry!

Your description of the FindMinimum algorithm is reassuring.  Unfortunately, I
realize now that the function I'm trying to optimize includes a simple
nonlinear constraint.  As Risto Karjalainen notes in his message "GARCH
estimation," there seems to be no way for FindMinimum to incorporate such

Anyone know how to get around that one?

My current strategy is to use MathLink to connect with external optimization
routines.  This gives access to a vast collection of Fortran and C code hand
tailored for different kinds of optimization problems.

Scott Roy