Reading MATLAB *.MAT files into Mathematica and vice versa

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Reading MATLAB *.MAT files into Mathematica and vice versa
  • From: mek at guinan.psu.edu (Mark E. Kotanchek)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 93 20:02:34 -0400

Hi,

I also posted this to the USENET so I'll apologize for the extra copies some of
you will see. Anyhow,.....

I have approximately 230 MB of MATLAB *.MAT files residing on my NeXTstation
which I need to use to test out some signal processing concepts. (The always
anxiety provoking real-world data test!) The problem is that MATLAB isn't
available for the NeXT (despite my pleas) and my Powerbook 170 which I use for
MATLAB only has about 20 MB free on it. Since I exploit a summary statistic, I
was hoping I could read the data into Mathematica, let it crunch the data down
to a reasonable size, write out a *.MAT file, and let the Mac do its thing.
(Eventually I'll get around to porting my algorithms over to Mma; however,
MATLAB is better for algorithm development and the port will take some time.)

Anyhow, I was hoping that someone had some advice (actually, functions ;) on
this file translation problem. I checked mathsource at wri.com but came up empty.

Failing that, I guess I'll have to break down and write some C-code so any
experiences along those lines would be appreciated since the users guide
documentation for my Mac MATLAB 3.5 is a little on the sparse side. I'd prefer
to use Mma rather than C since I need to tweak some parameters in the
compression process and I can make some of the decisions based upon graphical
results. Thus, even if I adopt the C approach, I'll have to read the results
into Mma as well as Mathematica.

Thanks much,

Mark.
--