Re: NeXT and Cannon

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: NeXT and Cannon
  • From: mek at guinan.psu.edu (Mark E. Kotanchek)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 93 15:07:04 -0500

Elias writes,

   I would appreciate any comments about the recent news of NeXT
   selling its hardware to Cannon. Does this mean the beginning of
   the end of the NeXT machines?

   What is going to all of us who invested in teaching classroms
   that we  equipped with NeXT machines to teach Calculus and
   Mathematica?
    Regards, Elias Saab
   mathes at esaab.cs.missouri.edu

I don't have any inside information; however, it is doubtful that
Canon bought that factory to make cameras. The NeXTstation
(CannonStation?) is still a nice piece of hardware and will kick the
butt of a PC 486 machine so for campus lab purposes it is still
probably the best choice. (This statement is due to the 68040 being a
better processor--e.g, 5 MFLOPS vs 1 MFLOPS for the 486--as well as
having a architecture which offloads tasks from the CPU.)

Thus, I suspect the slabs will still be available as well as the
long-rumored RISC machine coming out. The big plus is that we should
soon be able to buy an HP RISC screamer running NeXTstep so we can
have our number-crunching capability as well as a reasonable user
interface.

IMHO,

Mark.
---