NeXT Reorg

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: NeXT Reorg
  • From: "Richard Mercer, Mathematics and Statistics, x2191" <RMERCER at desire.wright.edu>
  • Date: 14 Feb 1993 15:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

One thing that seems to me most unlikely to survive is the free copy of
Mathematica to higher ed purchases. Buying another brand computer plus
NeXTstep software will not get you Mathematica for free. If NeXTstep
costs $500-$1000, and Mathematica $900-$1500, it would have to be a
pretty cheap and powerful machine to match the deal one could get through
NeXT. Of course there will continue to be discounts for teaching labs
from Wolfram, but for faculty or other purchases my comment still holds.

One more thing: Canon makes copiers, Cannon makes towels. Let's get it
straight.
Richard Mercer
Wright State University