Check and Off

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Check and Off
  • From: Simon Chandler <simonc at hpcpbla.bri.hp.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 16:35:35 GMT

Dear MathGroupers,

Mathematica: a System for Doing Mathematics by Computer (S.Wolfram
1991 Ed.2) seems inconsistent in its explanation of how Check and Off
work together.

In section A.8 (Listing of Mathematica Objects) the description for
Off states "Switching off the printing of a messsage does not affect
its detection by Check".  This behaviour is also described in
Mathematica Quick Reference Version 2 (N.Blachman 1992).

In contrast, in the main text of Mathematica: a System for Doing
Mathematics (section 2.8, p.389) the following is stated.
"Check[expr, failexpr] tests for all messsages that are actually
printed out. It does not test for messages whose output has been
suppressed using Off".

Am I missing something here ?  I would like to have the first
behaviour.  Can I force this ?

Thanks,

Simon Chandler
Hewlett-Packard Ltd (CPB)