Eigensystem problems

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Eigensystem problems
  • From: eboltz at acoustica.mrd.bldrdoc.gov (Eric S. Boltz)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 93 15:59:37 -0700

I'm having a bit of a problem with Eigensystem.
I want to get the evals and evectors of a 4x4 non-diagonal,
non-symmetric, symbolic matrix. I'm running Mma 2.1 on a NeXTTurbo
running NeXTSTEP 3.0 with 48 Megs of RAM.

Well, Mma is having some trouble. At this point its been running for
about 1.5 hours, but the big problem is that it is now using a
swapfile of about 150Megs!!

What gives? Is this a bug or is it really that difficult?
I've done symmetric 6x6 matrixes with less problems before.

Eric