new bug in Limit

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: new bug in Limit
  • From: brigham!rprice at
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 16:29:48 -0400

Dear mathgroup,

One of my old mma codes written under 1.2 now fails to work under 2.1, and
here's the reason why:

f[x_] = Erfc[x]/x;

Limit[f[x], x->0]

This is a perfectly well-defined limit, as you can see by forcing mma to
apply l'Hopital's rule directly,

D[Numerator[f[x]], x]/D[Denominator[f[x]], x] /. x->0

Presumably there is some reason this new bug crept into mma version 2.  Idle
curiosity would have me ask what it could possibly be, but since I need to
get some work done, all I'm really interested in is a fix or workaround.

Rod Price
rprice at