conditional limits

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: conditional limits
  • From: kenward at (Gary Kenward)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 11:38:09 PDT

I have a function of two variables, f[x, y], which when evaluated for values of
x=y results in:
              Power::infy: Infinite expression -- encountered.

As there is an (x-y) term in the denominator of the function.  However,
the Limit[f[x,y], x-y] does exist, and evaluates to a finite number.

The question is, how do I construct a rule that conditionally evaluates
the limit of f[x,y] rather than f[x,y] whenever x=y?

Gary Kenward
Motorola Wireless Data Group