  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: conditional limits
  • From: kenward at mdd.comm.mot.com (Gary Kenward)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 93 11:38:09 PDT

I have a function of two variables, f[x, y], which when evaluated for values of
x=y results in:
                                               1
              Power::infy: Infinite expression -- encountered.
                                               0.

As there is an (x-y) term in the denominator of the function.  However,
the Limit[f[x,y], x-y] does exist, and evaluates to a finite number.

The question is, how do I construct a rule that conditionally evaluates
the limit of f[x,y] rather than f[x,y] whenever x=y?

Regards
Gary Kenward
Motorola Wireless Data Group