Re: Extract plot range from mma

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg364] Re: [mg356] Extract plot range from mma
  • From: Richard Mercer <richard at seuss.math.wright.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 13:50:28 -0500

>  Mathematica automatically figures out an appropriate
>  plotrange for a plot in most cases. Is there a way to
>  know this vary PlotRange calculated by mma?
>

>  I am writing some special curve ploting functions. It
>  would be great to have mma pass me this information from
>  an arbitrary plot. If this cannot be done, pephaps someone
>  can tell me what is the algorithm used in mma to calculate
>  this "optimal" PlotRange?
>

>  You may send the answer to me. I will do a summary of
>  all replies in about a week. Thanks.
>

>   Xah Lee                 | Quote of the day:
>   xyl10060 at tiptoe.fhda.edu| God made humans, the rest is
>   the works of Mountain View, CA       | integers.
>   --A Chronicler.

You can have Mma tell you the answer like this:

gr = Plot[f[x],{x,a,b},DisplayFunction->Identity];
FullOptions[gr,PlotRange]

(note: this may not work in 3D plots, where FullOptions is much more limited in
scope -- I don't remember.)

You can experiment with this to find out what happens in various circumstances.
The complete answer is probably only known to WRI people. Hint: In many
circumstances the "normal" intervals are in fact "stretched" by a factor of
1.05.

Richard Mercer