Re: Generalized Eigenvector and Singular Value Decompositions

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg319] Re: [mg304] Generalized Eigenvector and Singular Value Decompositions
  • From: Richard Mercer <richard at rmercer.wright.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 14:30:38 -0500

   Mark Kotanchek complains about matrix capabilities of Mathematica: I agree,
and feel this is definitely a weak area that could be significantly improved
with less effort than many others, and one that is crucial in applied
mathematics. I wonder if some peoples' mathematical interests are taking
precedence over customer needs when WRI decides where to place R&D efforts?
   All this is of course in the context of a program often taken (over the
muffled screams of the developers) as an attempt to be all things to all
people.

However:
>     1) the SVD of a 6x6 complex-valued matrix requires
>     0.8 seconds on my   NeXTstation -- which is IMHO
>     excessive;

If it takes 2 hours to do a large matrix, then you may have a complaint.
Taking 0.8 seconds to do anything is not a valid complaint, especially given
the quirks of timing. My NeXTstation yield 0.15 seconds for 10 repetitions of
applying SingularValues to a random 6x6 matrix as measured by the Timing
command. On the other hand, doing it just once gives 0.4 seconds (no output) or
1.8 second (with output) through the in-window time display. They are all
measuring different things, none of them particularly useful except for
comparisons between machines.

Richard Mercer