Alternating sums

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg328] Alternating sums
  • From: Jack Goldberg <Jack.Goldberg at math.lsa.umich.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 11:30:47 -0500 (EST)

Hello mathgroup:
I have received many responses to my query on how "best" to convert a
list to an "alternating sum".  My thanks to all of you who responded. It
was surprising to see how many of you took an interest in this question -
although one respondent predicted a deluge of answers.  My guess is that
many of you are curious about the answers I received.  As soon as I
finish designing and grading finals I will summarize the responses.  To
tease you all, I will add that the answers fall into two major catagories
depending on whether Length[mylist] is used explicitly. If you avoid
Length then the parity of the number of entries in the list may become a
factor.
Jack