Messages[] Problem/bug?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg357] Messages[] Problem/bug?
  • From: Xah Y Lee <xyl10060 at fhda.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 1994 08:15:25 -0800 (PST)

I found this following strange thing. It could be classified as a bug. It
is 100% reproducible on my Mma student v.2.1 for Mac.

When I excute the following Messages[Plus] or Messages[Power], mma returs
an empty list {}. Then I excute ?Plus, mma returns the appropriate usage
message for plus. Now I execute Messages[Plus] again, the appropriate
usage message appears.

What is wrong? Is this a bug?

 Xah Lee                 | O King, for traveling over the country, there are
 xyl10060 at tiptoe.fhda.edu| royal roads and roads for common citizens; but
 Mountain View, CA       | in geometry there is one road for all.
-------------------------+    -- Menaechmus. When his pupil Alexander the
                                 Great asked for a shortcut to geometry.
 O Menaechmus, but you can always travel by plane. Ever heard of Mathematica?
                              -- A Mathematician of WasaMata U.