External Mma graphics viewer for Macintosh

Dear MathGroup, I wonder if anyone working with v2.2 for the
Macintosh has tried directing graphics output into an
external viewer, in the way that the pre-Notebook UNIX version
does.

I have an application in mind where a Mma program would communicate
with the user via the pure kernel. This works fine but there is
no graphics. Either I need to direct graphics into an external viewer,
or (more difficult) create a custom interface which behaves like
a pure kernel but can display graphics.

Any ideas?

Phillip Kent
Transitional Maths Project