Re: importing pixmaps

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: importing pixmaps
  • From: Jeffrey Adams <jeff at tiag.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 94 09:54:22 -0400

> >L.S.
> >
> >Is it possible in mathematica to import pixmap files in e.g.  pcx,
> >tiff or gif format and do some image processing on them?
> >I would also like to know if mathematica packages are available to
> >do some simple image processing on pictures (FFT, scaling etc.).
> >

> >Rudolf Sprik
> >sprik at phys.uva.nl
> >
> Off the top of my head, I don't know of packages that will do this.
> However, you can import GIF format into the X front end and use
> Convert to InputForm; perhaps, this would be a useful alternative.
>

>                                         -John

Each of the Mathematica front ends can copy and paste some image
formats into and out of RasterArray and Raster formats.
NeXTSTEP front ends can use TIFF, John reports X front ends can use
GIF and I believe the Mac front ends can import and export PICTs.

On the issue of importing and exporting images, I am wrapping up a
NeXTSTEP MathLink package and code called Graphics`Tiff` which has
two functions ReadTiff and WriteTiff which can read in TIFFs and
create RasterArray objects and WriteTiff which can write RasterArray
objects out as TIFF.   These functions do not require a front end to
work.  They can read/write 1,2,4,8,24,32 bit GrayLevel, RBGColor,
CMYKColor TIFFs.  They currently throw out an Alpha channel.

The MathLink application does contain NeXTSTEP specific code for
reading in TIFFs, but the MathLink code is easily portable across
different platforms so it shouldn't take to long to port.

I'm also wrapping up a Graphics`Raster` package which contains useful
common filters which act on RasterArray and Raster objects.
Filters include Brighten, Contrast, GammaCorrection, Flat, Rotate,
Inverse, RandomShift, Matrix, and a OneToOne filter for filtering
discrete channel values.  These filters will be able to work on All
or individual channels in the image.

Very soon I'll have them sent off to MathSource and let you know when
they have been sent.

Jeff Adams
jeff at tiag.com    NeXTMail accepted
Told in a Garden.