bug-checking experiment

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: bug-checking experiment
  • From: p.kent at imperial.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 20:16:27 +0100

Dear MathGroup,

I'd appreciate it if any of you running the X Front End could try
this little procedure, which hangs the FE on both SGI and DEC RISC
(versions 2.2 and 2.2.1):

Start the FE, and execute an Input[] command. That should work
fine. Now do another Input[] --- you may get a message saying
"Mathematica could not find an important resource..." and
the kernel is hung.

Do any of the FE versions not have this bug?

If you find it, send a message to support at wri.com asking them why
a bug which was in the beta release of XFE last fall is STILL
there after TWO release versions.

It's not my intention to harass WRI Technical Support, but I've
tried several times to get a response through the "usual channels"
and got nowhere.

Phillip Kent
Imperial College
London.