Notebook printing errors with Mma 2.2 for NeXTSTEP

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Notebook printing errors with Mma 2.2 for NeXTSTEP
  • From: mek at guinan.arl.psu.edu (Mark Kotanchek)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 21:23:46 -0500

Hi,

Mathematica 2.2 on my NeXTstation has a frustrating feature when I try to
print a notebook -- occasionally when printing a notebook, some plots are
SOLID black rather than the expected graphic. These same plots may be cut
and pasted into FrameMaker and other applications and correctly imaged,
they are correctly imaged in the Notebook displayed on the screen.

By the term "occasionally" I mean at least one (and generally more) per
reasonable length analysis. This means that notebooks are fairly useless as
a communications medium. A young colleague was trying to get some data
plotted and I said, "Use Mathematica -- it'll be easier." It was quite
embarrassing to be forced to resort to FrameMaker as an intermediate
application.

Anyhow, does anybody know what is going on with Mma and how to overcome
such behavior? Will WRI be fixing this problem in the next upgrade? Will I
learn to keep my mouth shut and stop "helping" people? ;)

Thanks much,

Mark.

---------------------
Mark Kotanchek