Transferring notebooks from the Mac to the NeXT

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Transferring notebooks from the Mac to the NeXT
  • From: mek at guinan.arl.psu.edu (Mark Kotanchek)
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 21:57:02 -0500

Hi,

Since my Powerbook 170 doesn't have the horsepower to run Mma natively,
I've started using a PPP connection to my NeXTstation and running the
kernel remotely. This approach works pretty well except for a couple of
irritating characteristics:

1) The function browser (I'm running Mma 2.2 on both platforms) doesn't
handle the loaded packages. Since I've got a fairly extensive set of
packages devoted to my research interest of array signal processing, this
is sort of a pain in the butt since I spent a lot of time on the usage help
and have come to enjoy using the function browser and the ability to paste
templates. Yeah, I know that I can use ?*myFunction* to get at the help;
however, it seems that Mma should be more cooperative.

2) The second problem is that while I can ftp (via fetch) notebooks and
packages fron the NeXT, when I put them back Mma on the NeXT doesn't read
them in correctly. I'm transferring the files as text and the Mac's CRs are
being correctly converted into the Unix LFs since the files look OK when I
open them using Edit on the NeXT. If I fetch the same file back to the Mac,
the file does open correctly with all of the formatting intact. I can
transfer the files to the NeXT via floppy so I suspect that the problem
lies with the resource fork getting muddled with the data fork. (?) The
question is how do I get a file to the NeXT via modem? Since I'm writing
packages at home, I'd like to be able to update my kernel (i.e., NeXT) with
the latest and greatest version.

Thanks for any help you can give me. One of the plus sides of this
arrangement is that it ties up my phone and, thereby, limits the
interruptions. Furthermore, it lets me work late into the evening with a
scotch in front of me! ;)

Cheers,

Mark.

---------------------